Saturday, April 25, 2009

Running

If your shins and ankles ache after running, it is probably because of the angle that your foot hits the ground. I had no idea that this was why I ached so much after a run, I assumed I was just unfit and ran more to try to get fitter and strengthen my legs. But when recently going to buy some new running shoes, the guy in the shop told me all about pronation. Apparently it is very common for people to over pronate, about 75% of runners over pronate. That is the inner soul of the foot rolls inwards as the foot hits the ground. People who over pronate tend to also have low foot arches (flat feet). An engineer would be able to explain in more detail, but simplistically, this means that the impact of your foot fall, is taken by the ankles and shins, which is why over pronaters get aching shins (also known as shin splints) and ankles.

Anyway, so I needed some shoes and it turns out running shoe manufacturers make shoes specially for this condition, shoes that are specially engineered to change the stress points of impact when running. They are called motion control shoes and have a built up inner arch with loads of support that is supposed to redirect the impact energy. I was dubious as to whether these motion control shoes could actually correct the probem and end my aching shins and ankles, but to my amazement they did.

I bought a pair of Brooks Addiction 8 shoes for ladies, just like in the picture below...












I absolutely love these running shoes, I can now run and not even feel it the next day. No more shin splints, no more ankle pain, I am sooo pleased with these shoes. I think they are nice looking shoes as well, the design is not quite as "in your face" as most motion control shoes. They are stylish and well cushioned and the other bonus is that they come in half sizes.

I run in the morning when I get up, and it is a great start to the day, I am building up endurance and doing interval training to try to be able to run further and faster in the future.

No comments: